Combined BS/MS in Biomedical Engineering
The combined BS/MS degree program allows qualified students to apply for graduate admissions to pursue both a bachelor’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) and a master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering (BME) concurrently. Admitted students begin MS degree course work while working towards their BS degree and double-count up to 12 credit hours of specific graduate courses for both their undergraduate and graduate degree requirements. The MSE degree is designed to be completed within two to three semesters after completing the BS requirements.
Admission Requirements for the Combined BS/MS Program in MSE and BME
- Satisfy both BME and Graduate School admission requirements for an MS degree
- Applicants must have an upper-division GPA of at least 3.5
- In addition, applicants to the graduate program must have completed a minimum of 18 credit hours of EMA courses.
Combined BS/MS Program In MSE/BME
- All BS degree requirements for MSE must be satisfied
- In addition, all MS degree requirements for BME must be satisfied.
- A maximum of 12 credit hours maybe double counted from the graduate courses listed below towards both the BS and MS degrees.
Select 9 graduate credits to substitute for undergraduate credits from the following:
||Graduate course substitution
|EMA3800, Error Analysis/Optimization Methods (3)
||EMA6808, Error Analysis/Optimization Methods (3)
|EMA4314, Energetics and Kinetics In MSE (3)
||EMA6316, Materials Thermodynamics (3)
|EMA4125, Transport Phenomena (3)
||EMA6136, Diffusion, Kinetics, and Transport Phenomena
|EMA4062, biopolymers: Manufacture, Stability and Biocompatibility (3)
||EMA6581, Polymeric Biomaterials (3)
Plus select from the following list to substitute for 2 credits of MSE technical electives:
|BME6936, BME Seminar (1 cr/semester, up to 2 cr total)
||BME6360, Neural Engineering (3)
|BME5407, Molecular Biomedical Engineering (3)
||BME6502, intro to Medical Imagaing (3)
|BME5401, Physiology (3)
||BME6330,Cell & Tissue Engineering (3)
|BME6010, Clinical Preceptorship (3)
||BME5500, Biomedical Instrumentation (3)
|BME5703, Computational Methods for BME (3)
||BME5052L, Molecular Cell Biology Lab (3)
|BME5xxx, Advanced Math for BME (3)